Saturday, October 3, 2009

Crater Lake

This place is only 2 hours from our house!!!! We had to get out of town and we had heard of this amazing place and wanted to explore it. We went with our pals the Arnells. Crater Lake is a National Park and is a lake high up on the top of an old volcano. The volcano erupted leaving a MASSIVE crater that then filled with water from the melting snow of the peaks around it. It is HUGE the lake is the second deepest in the US and believe it or not. The water is BLUER than Lake Tahoe. The color is unreal!!

Our first day we explored a little bit and hiked to this waterfall.

Unfortunately there was a HUGE fire that was close by so the smoke blew in by the afternoon and you couldn't see the lake. We hiked up to this spot and Chris and I are literally standing on the edge of the crater. Behind us...it's a mile STRAIGHT down!!


We thought this rock looked like a Mayan god looking down on the lake. Do you see it?


This is us at another point of the crater. Again a mile straight down behind us!


Unfortunately we didn't get a picture of the whole Arnell family but this is Jeremy chilling above the clouds.


The sun that night as it set in the smoke.

This was our campsite. That's our tent. The Arnells had a trailer! JEALOUS! It got really cold at night!


And in the morning, a lot of the smoke had cleared so here is the lake. The pictures don't do it justice. It's HUGE and AMAZINGLY blue!


And our outdoorsy dog Maximus looking all mighty. Really...just chasing after a chipmunk.


More of the lake. Still smokey. The water is so clear and blue that the reflection is so cool. You can't tell where the lake begins and where the mountains end. The lake is over a mile deep.


What an amazing view! We were SO DIRTY from camping.


We hiked up to another peek. Again...behind Chris was straight down. I couldn't get that close without feeling like I would pass out.


More of the lake. There is a boat ride that goes around it if you wanna hike down to the water but we just missed it. It closed last weekend.


If you look closely, you can see the chipmunk that drove Maximus nuts!

5 comments:

Rob, Adrienne, Sam, Ada and Tony said...

How pretty. To bad all that smoke blew in. I'm sure you guys smelt great after campfire and natural fires all around you. Don't you just love that smell.

Mom said...

yeah....she updated her blog...finally! I so understand about not having time to keep up! What fun! I can so see that lake and would love to see it too someday when I get out there. And Maximus so looks like the outdoors-dog!
Hugs,
Mom

Dayna said...

That looks amazing! How fun for you guys! we can't wait until we can come out there and visit all of those fun places you were talking about! well, I know this is a long ways away, but I know that I am FOR SURE going to be out there next year because my friend gets married in Portland on the 30th of June so maybe we can have a fun time that weekend! (and hopefully we will get out there BEFORE then as well!)

John, Mica, Jackson, Grace, Kai, and Lucy said...

I love that place, that's neat you live so close!

SHO'NUF said...

So, now that you are in Oregon... QUESTION! Which Bear is Best? Wrong, BLACK BEAR! So, you guys loving it? I see you found the Great Creater Lake. I have yet to explore that great place... Well, ash is finding she has no time, so we are a bit backed up on Blogg posts, but I had Surgery on my foot, i survived, and i am trying to recoupe. I am still shooting to compete in St George MAY 1st. I have a real question. CHris, you hardly trained for the SF Marathon, Right? were you able to run the whole thing? Or did you walk run, how did you do it? I will be back on my feet in 5 more weeks, and i have not been able to train for 10, so i am pretty much going into this thing blind, but if my odds are 1,000,000 to 1, I WILL TAKE IT! well, hope you guys are having the time of your life! WE miss you. Talk to you soonish...