Friday, February 22, 2008

This One's For Grandma Julie...

My First Quilt!
So the same place that has the $2 ties also has these amazing precut scraps that are all the same size of tie material that for one reason or another was "warped". So they were selling these scraps for $5 for as much as you could fit in a grocery bag. Well....each grocery bag holds at least nine little bags and each little bag will make a quilt the size I just made. SO...I have A LOT of quilting to do since I have 14 little bags!
Each little bag has scraps that are all the same pattern but different colors.

I sorted out the colors of the first bag. You can't see in the picture but these scraps are a pretty diamond pattern.

This is the contents of one small bag all laid out to be sewn together.

And the finished product. It took me a while but it WAS my first time. Now...can I make 13 more? I dunno about that!

Another view.
This blog entry is dedicated to my Grandma Julie who was the most AMAZING quilter I have ever seen and to Jessica Curtis for providing the support and know how of it all. Thanks Jess for letting me invade your home and get fabric fibers all over your carpet and clothes. We had a really fun afternoon!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it!! So that is all made of tie fabric? Send me some to play with too and.... can you come too? Guess you will be the next quilter in the family. So sweet of you to remember Grandma. I miss her very much. Last night Dad and I were at Christmas Tree Shop so I could get a frame for this three generation photo I found. I needed to get a mat to put in the frame and just could not decide on the right color combo-double mat. I just said, "Mom, where are you when I need you?" Just then Dad found me and he pulled out just the right mat from the stack. Now framed it looks great. Check my blog later to see.
Serious though, along with the measure spoons do send some scraps for a queen size or even king size spread! What will you back it with?? Any fancy overstitching? I have got to come and see this store!!
Hugs to you both!!
Mom

Mrs. Umina said...

Good for you! It looks great. You did a really nice job piecing it all together. I can't believe how big it turned out being. That's crazy that those little bags make such a huge quilt. I too am excited to see the finished product with the batting and back.

Jessica said...

Patience it looks so good!! Now I am really excited to make mine! I got tons of the matching ones now. I can't believe how nice it turned out. Hey I love your new title picture. That it so pretty.

Lainie said...

WOW! That is beautiful. Quilts are SO much work, but they are a classic staple in any house. My birthday's in April?!!! ;0)

Anonymous said...

How did you get my favorite picture to fit in your header and I am still lost as to how to get music on our blog....can I just turn it over to you to fix?? And dinner too??
Hugs always,
Mom

Mrs. Umina said...

At church on Sunday I got an idea of something else you can do with all of those ties. Make a skirt! A girl in my ward took actual neckties that didn't match nearly as well as yours would and sewed them vertically into a cute skirt. It looked great on her. Just a thought..

Rebekah said...

Patience,

It's Rebekah Scott from DT Freshman year. I just had to tell you that your quilt is absolutely amazing! What a cool way to find quilting fabric, and the finished product is so, so awesome! I love it!

Keep on quilting!

hcg said...

I love your quilt! I agree with you, your Grandma Julie made the most amazing quilts ever!