Monday, March 3, 2008

You Know You Are A Dental Student's Wife When....

So after being the wife of a dental student for almost 2 years now, I thought that I would do a blog entry to show some of the common and strange things in our dental enthusiast lives. So....you know your a dental student's wife when.....

You find models of teeth of random people in your house on a frequent basis. And also just plain models. And what is sad is that you can almost diagnose all the problems (ie. what teeth are missing, if there is gum recession, what teeth have had work done on them etc.)

This is literally a god worshipped 2-3 times daily in your house and a prized possession that goes with you almost everywhere.

When you come home and find a scene like this....you know it's going to be a late night. Notice the two monster drinks, soda, and snickers. Missing from the picture are the other books and binders to reference as well.

You find empty syringes around the house and know your husband is not a drug addict...only an addict to whitening his smile.

Honey...NOT TONIGHT...refers to not wanting to floss AGAIN! But I just did it yesterday! Ohhh...the guilt!

Your nightstand is not cluttered with best selling books but with these dental favorites and journals of dental research. Yeah....it puts me out fast! But we have a booklight for Chris...

Your husband has a business card with information that does not really apply to him...but you know how to really reach him if you need to.

You wake up in the morning and find books like these open to disgusting pages like these on your kitchen table and don't think twice about it as you eat your breakfast. You may even read about it as you eat your oatmeal. And then you put them away time and time again every morning! But you can tell your husband exactly what page he left off on.

You have tested almost every dental product out there (this isn't even half of it!) and have half empty bottles in your linen closet just in case you need to compare. And if one of your friends has a problem you don't think twice about letting them know which product would serve them the best. You may even bring it up in common conversation and quote several ingredients and why they work best...I know nerdy!

You find teeth (the fake practice ones they buy at school) in the washing machine from the pockets of your husband's pants. What's worse is you can tell what number tooth they are and if they are molars, premolars, canines, bicuspids, etc.

You have pictures like these on your digital camera...and they are of your mouth!

And these....yes that is my gum. I didn't have much warning..

You get to play with fun toys like these!

And you have more pictures of your mouth....

and more...

In the case that you have a large mouth like mine, your husband and his friends give you the nickname "typodont". And you know what that is. You also know what size of dental apparatus you require for taking impressions (extra large).

Your social calendar revolves around school and studying...

You have at least two bookshelves in your house that look like this. This is one of 3 in our closet in our office!

Your husband has a large collection of ties like this one because half of them will get thrown away due to getting plaster on them, some pink rubbery material on them, someone's spit or something gross like that on them, or frayed from all the stuff he has to wear at school. But he still has to wear a tie everyday!
Just to name a few. I may add more later. Dental wives....you KNOW what I mean with all this! Feel free to add any odd things that you notice as well.!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Patience!!! That was seriously the best post EVER!!! I laughed my butt off the whole time!!! So funny!

~Ashley Dawn Photography~ said...

Hey! I remember those mouth pictures! HA HA They turned out really great!

That is an awesome post!

So funny!

Shanana said...

You know you're a dental student/wife/mother when your version of quality time with your children is waxing up your denture setup together on a Saturday in the lab and rewarding them by taking alginate impressions of their hands.

The other moment that will surely clinch my "mother of the year" award was in undergrad, when my preschooler climbed up on my lap as I was studying anatomy and asked me to explain the brain to him. Later, while he was in the tub, he asked me to wash his cerebellum as he pointed to the back of his head (At least he was in the proper region).

Candice said...

THAT was awesome. SO right on, its scary. I am relieved to not find those fake teeth in the dryer anymore!! :))) You are so clever!

Scott and Mal said...

You said it better than I ever could have! That made my day because it is oh so true! And there are so many other things that I can't wait to end! You're so awesome!! Thanks for a good lauch

Anonymous said...

Peach-
You forgot the best and ever so present in this hysterical but true posting.....
You know you are a dental student's wife when you have developed a good sense of humor...and it is clean!

hcg said...

LOL!!! I couldn't stop laughing about the teeth in the washer!!! When my hubby was a trim carpenter, I would find trim nails and construction pencils all over in our washer.

Anonymous said...

I had a chuckle with your post. Brings back memories for sure. Thanks!

Annie said...

Don't worry, I know you've become pretty attached to all of these newfound "things" so in order to make you feel better I would like to be the first to let you know that those "things" say around even after dental school and then you get some more. It never ends. Great job at documenting everything.