Mt. Timpanogos Caves!

So after a 1 1/2 hour hike that we did in 1/2 an hour in the heat of the day we made it to Timp. caves. We had never been before and couldn't believe we hadn't done this while we lived in Utah. Thanks Dayna for such a fun idea and adventure! A Checkadams adventure that is!
Dayna inside the cave. Unfortunately none of these pictures captured the amazing colors of the rock! It was so cool! They were all these beautiful amber colored things. Actually calcite to be exact. The cave was created in the mountain from an earthquake. It is right on the fault line. Actually...I think it is the fault line. Creepy....
This picture is purely for Chris' face. LOL! He looks really happy to be in the cave. He wasn't so happy about all the pictures. Sometimes I go a little overboard.
us and Nate in front of some cool stuff. It was 40 degrees inside the cave so thankfully the Checketts had a blanket. I was totally unprepared.
The Checkadams showcasing the rocks.
I'm not sure what we were trying to do here.
Chris in front of the tooth rock. Actually I think they called it the heart of Timpanogos but we saw a tooth. It actually weighs 6,000 pounds! Good luck drilling that one Chris!
Some parts of the cave were really open and big with the most intricate ceilings of rocks being slowly created through water carrying calcite and minerals. The cave was very wet inside.
Some of the fun rock formations. Pictures just don't do it justice.
Other parts of the cave were very narrow and small.
Checking it out. We had the coolest tourguide. She had lots of personality and fun stories to tell.
Trying to capture the delicate rock formations. Some of them were like straws and others like curly fries.
This was a "flow" of rock. It looked like a waterfall but was all rock. There was one part that looked like a carmel sundae but my camera battery was gone by then. It was some really cool stuff!
These rock formations looked like giant slices of bacon.
These are the cave straws.We spent the day and next morning with the Checketts exploring the caves, eating some awesome waffles, malts from the malt shoppe, and at this great place called Noodles. Then of course there were some mean games of our favorite card game "Oh Heck". The next morning we headed back to SF. It was a really fun trip!




8 comments:
I totally remember that when I was little... that is awesome! You guys had a very busy break from dental school :D
What a cool and fascinating place!
Here's how I remember which is which: Stalagtites hang on tight (from the ceiling) and stalagmites reach up with all their might (from the ground).
What awesome pix! I almost feel like I'm there myself! Sounds like you had a blast!!!! Play it up before 3rd year.
Peach
Uncle Bill and I did this when we were out in Utah - YES it is the faultline and the day we went there was a minor quake- we werent in the caves at the time.
This is how I remember -
Stalagmites go up stalagtights go down- As a little girl my tights were always falling down!@
Auntie J
If you ask David our Auntie H they could tell you the diffrent mineral in the rock that make the different colors!
Ok some vocab help here....teacher mom to the rescue!
Back when I was a youngun', it was called "splunking" which is what Dad and I did on our second date. Now watch what you are thinking, daughter! The cave we went into was down in a hole....not the walk in variety you have here. And you were thinking of something else...shame on you!
The things coming down from the ceiling or top of the cave are StalagTites-remember the "T" for top. Thus the stalagmites are from the bottom or floor of the cave. It is so fascination to see how the earth does change.
wonderful pictures...I could smell the wetness...no wait that is the smell here most of the time in in northeast!
ok, I hit the wrong button-that last one "anon" was from me!
Hugs,
Mom
Hm, your vocabulary of comparison (caramel sundae, straws, curly fries, bacon) suggests you were hungry at the time ;-)
Thanks for giving me a call you punk! I guess you were to busy to come see me. Alicia usually is too!
Post a Comment